Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The people

June 17th

It has been said that the people make the trail, more so the long miles, beautiful vistas, diverse wildlife, and the enjoyment of the simpler way of life.  So far I have failed to meet a person that didn't make me laugh.  I like to think I have made each person I have spent time with laugh as well.

People are eager to share everything and help each other.  It is kind of astonishing actually.  Hikers you have got to know are genuinely excited to see you at the end of the day. Due to different hiking paces, resupply schedules, and even minor injuries you may never see people again.  You learn to appreciate the jokes, stories, and knowledge of everyone.

Most people are in groups out here and it is good to have someone to help you if you need it.  However, I'm glad to be solo, independent, and free to hike my hike.  Each day I the miles I want, I hike my pace, and I don't rely on anyone for anything.

I have hiked with another person or group nearly the entire time I have been out here.  Well not hiked with people, but do the same miles.  People seem eager to take me in and are happy to see me at the end of the day.  Lately I've been doing the same miles as three guys from Mankato, Minnesota.

I have heard some funny comments about me from all the people I've met.  I was told someone should write a book about me, that I'm crazy (that's not a new one), that I'm the biggest bullshiter ever (because I mess with people, a lot), and that the reason I'm such a fast hiker is because my calves are so big that they have calves.  Something about this trail draws out the people with a sense of humor and an easy going attitude, otherwise you wouldn't make it.

My knees hurt like hell today.  Hopefully this pain goes away quickly.

-Stealth

May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every wrung and may you stay forever young.

No comments:

Post a Comment