Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Made it to Maine

I'm in Maine now and it is beautiful. My flights went well. The first flight I got a window seat in the single row of seats and the flight was on time. The flight from Louisville to Philadelphia was quick. I took time to read the US Airways Magazine articles about zip lining and the Baja Peninsula. The plane that was going from Flip Flip Flipadelphia (that's for you Always Sunny fans) to Bangor was 20 minutes late arriving so I end up 15 minutes late to Bangor. I slept almost the whole flight and it was glorious. I saw my blue Rubbermaid tote being loaded onto both planes and noticed the white TSA tape on it and had a bad feeling about it, more on that later.

After landing in Bangor I met Phil who had cold beer waiting for me for the ride to his cabin. Talk about full service... We had a great conversation about what I can expect on the trail the next ten days. Phil is a three time thru hiker. He informed me I should be in good standing with the river crossing. The water levels are already receding. We also had a great discussion about alternative energy, nuke power, unions and the economy. All of my favorite political topics. We stopped at the grocery and picked up some dinner for myself, four pieces of fried chicken, a pint of slaw, some fresh berries, and bottle of cab for dinner. I have downed it all but half the wine. I'm not sure I want to climb the hardest or one of the hardest mountains still drunk or hungover.

Phil told me to make myself at home here at his cabin and I knew that would work out when I asked were the restroom was. I was told to pee off the back deck. That's my style!!!

The plan for tomorrow is to be out of here at 5 as it is light at 4. I should have plenty of time for my summit assault of Katahdin and the side hike I'm wanting to do along a trail called the Knife's Edge (google this, it's sick). Phil informed me the Knife's Edge is the scariest hiking he has done as it has shear cliffs and near technical climbs. It is only nine tenths of a mile one way but I'll have to back track to get to camp.

I'm pretty pumped to start hiking and I know tomorrow will be one of the most rewarding days of the entire trip. Phil tells me that if you can make it up Katahdin on your first day then physically you can handle the entire 2184 miles. He also told me that from talking to me he can tell me that I am way ahead most mentally (no news here lol) and that I have what it takes to be a successful thru hiker. That is important to heart from someone like him because a thru hike is 90% mental.

For Loneoak: For insulation I have a 40° underquilt from hammockgear.com, a 40° 2/3 topquilt from Nunatek, and a Stoic down anorak for my upper body. I'll try to get some pictures of my sleep setup soon.

Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement! I have included a picture of Phil's cabin. I should have got a view out the back as it was spectacular but my phone was dead when the sun was up.

Peace, love, guns, and ammo.

-Brenton


2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Cant wait to see your pics of the knifes edge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm hoping to hike the AT myself one day, so I wanted to wish you luck and I'll be reading along while you hike.

    ReplyDelete