Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Big climbs and big eats

June 20th

Last night I was told it was supposed to be near 90 degrees today. So, I actually got up with the sun for the first time in a few days.  I knew I was running low on food and that if I pushed hard I could make Stratton.

The morning climbs were tough.  I hiked for over four hours on a pack of poptarts and a Larabar.  600 calories of food and 4000+ calories of work. That sounds like federal budget math the numbers are so far off.

The first climb to the peak of Little Bigelowe Mountain went quick and the view was spectacular.  Towering into the clouds was the next climb, Avery Peak on Bigelowe Mountain.  Avery was the first peak on Bigelowe I would summit but only the second highest, with lots of exposed ridge line in between.  This would be the first exposed ridge line Southbound on the AT. However, the  decking but for me since I hiked the Knife's Edge at Katahdin.

After Little Bigelowe I had to descend into a gap before climbing Avery.  Boulders ten times the size of a car partially covered cracks in mountain where cold air leaked up onto the trail.  It was like nature's air  conditioning cooling me off before the big climb. It was refreshing but temporary.  The climb to Avery Peak was steep and relentless.  I was running out energy so I stopped for a quick break when I saw toad resting on a boulder.  He was directly having me right above a white blaze.  A prefect picture opportunity, if only the battery were not dead. I turned on my phone and got the best picture I could before he spooked.

I started climbing again, sweat was saturating my hair and running down my face but I could see the peak through the trees.  When I finally got above treeline I turned around and had the most wonderful view.  The breeze picked up and cooled me and started laughing.  I always seem to laugh.  Suddenly I had more energy than I had all day and I made it to the peak in no time.

I could seemingly see forever.  I noticed a mountain with ski trails down it and figured it was Sugarloaf (it was).  There were mountains all around and lakes scattered about with their familiar mirror like sheen. 

I stopped and ate my lunch on the peak while I soaked in the view.  I went to make some drink mix so I pulled the bite valve off of my camel back and let the bladder drain.  I had only eight ounces of water left.

I had two more peaks before I would see water.  I carried on at a slower pace across the other peaks. I stopped for pictures on each and enjoyed the ridge hiking. 

Once I began descending I realized I could make the remainder of the sixteen miles to the highest into Stratton.  I filled up with water and started zooming down the mountain.

I made it to the highway and quickly got a hitch.  My first ever hitch hiking experience.  The guy was nice and talked about how it hit 90 today and how he hits his limit everytime fishing at the lake that sits just below my last peak.

I plugged my phone in outside the market and went in to get goodies for the next five days: bagels, PB, a block of cheddar, tuna, sardines, peanut M&Ms, mint chocolate cookies, Spiderman Poptarts, pasta sides, ramen noodles, cosmic brownies, and Cliff Bars.  I also picked up food to eat today: 1.5 quarts of ice cream, three cold drinks, 12 ounces of smoked sausage, a half pound of BBQ chicken tenders, broccoli and cauliflower, a grapefruit, and a black raspberry whoopie pie.  I ate the ice cream in ten minutes and then finished the chicken.  I had intended to eat some pizza across the street but I would have had to order it so I passed. 

With 3000 calories of ice cream, chicken, and drink in me I began to feel queasy.  It felt like a heavyweight fight in my gut, so rested until my phone was charged most of the way.  I left at 7:30 and again found a hitch quickly.

This time I was in the back of a truck with two wet black labs shaking water all over me.  I didn't mind as they were fresh from a bath and smelled tremendously better than me.

I wanted to eat the rest of my dinner after I picked a stealth camping spot on the side of the trail (the first real camp is 8 miles in up mountain).  However, I could only eat some if my veggies.  The rest will be breakfast tomorrow so I actually have energy on my big climb.

At some point I had realized I crossed the imaginary line were there are only 2000 miles left.  I will be 10 percent complete in two days.  The real challenge of the trail lies in the next 100 miles.  All of the Nobos have agreed that is the must difficult part of the entire trail. 

One day at a time, one step at a time.

~ Stealth







No comments:

Post a Comment