Saturday, June 16, 2012

Ice down

June 11th

Today I hiked with Excell again.  As we left camp I put some extra oatmeal packets on the lean-to bench for the rationing girls.  It only saved me a few ounces, but i know they needed the food much more than I did.  I try to keep up with my trail karma.  It really does seem that everyone does what they can to help one and other out here.

Today's agenda was to hike 10.8 miles and evaluate if we wanted to go any further. Today was the first real test, as we had to summit White Cap Mountain.  The biggest mountain so far, with a full pack.  I had hot spots on each foot and had to stop twice to tape up my feet. I have learned that up hill is my strong suit. I have legs are long and strong.  I can melt away the ascents and I find them enjoyable.

The view from White Cap was pretty spectacular. I could see where I had been and where I was headed. The wind was strong and I allowed it to blow between my back and my pack to cool me down.

The problem I have with climbing mountains is the descent.  My right knee begins hurting and i have to go extremely slow to keep the pain from intensifying.  After White Cap there were two smaller summits on the same ridge line.  I met up with Excell at the camp ground before the final summit.  I ate some peanut butter on a tortilla and took off my shoes to assess the damage.  I found two new blisters, both on my left heel.
Excell and I both agreed that ten was enough for today as our feet were on fire and we still had two miles to go. After hiking the last two miles very slowly, we arrived at camp around noon. With my free time I used the creek in front of camp to wash my clothes. I let the clothes dry on the large exposed rocks as I bathed myself and used the cold water as an ice bath for my aching feet and legs. I sat for over ten minutes with water up to my chest and it made an obvious difference in the swelling of my feet. Taking time to clean yourself and your clothes is important. Feeling good is most of the battle out here. In the shelter I found The Confessor by Daniel Silva. It will be nice to read in my down time.

No comments:

Post a Comment