Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Sausage Fest

June 18th

I planned to wake up early this morning as I had to be at the Kennebec River crossing before 11:00 AM.  I wanted to leave at 6:30 but I didn't get out of my hammock until 7:20. I quickly packed up camp and hustled down the trail to complete the 6 miles so I could cross the river. I was wincing with every step from my knee pain but I made it at 10:20 and it turns out 10:30 is the cutoff time. The canoe ferry is the official route if the AT because the river is seven feet deep in places and the two hydroelectric dams upstream can release water and make it rise quickly.

I are lunch on the other side and then decided to hike only four more miles to Peirce Pond. It was a great decision. A crew called the Dirty Southbounders showed up and fed everyone with cookies, fried chicken, loads of kielbasa, cheese, and hotdogs.  I ate near a pound of sausage.  They had just planned to pay forward some trail magic but then it turned it to a little memorial celebration.  As we all learned today (some knew yesterday) a Nobo (Northbound) hiker drowned while swimming at this lake Friday evening.  The hiker known as Parkside, had hiked twenty miles and decided to go for a swim to cool off as his buddies sat in the lean-to that rests at the water's edge.  Parkside swam to the middle of the lake and it is believed he cramped up.  He yelled for help but his friends couldn't reach him in time.

I did swim here today to clean off.  I was in water over my head only five feet offshore.  I stayed close because the canoe guide had said there are cold springs in the lake that probably caused some of the cramping. 

I had oatmeal for dinner and it is crazy knowing I made oatmeal with water from a pond where someone just drowned.  My drinking water for tomorrow morning too.

They Dirty Southbounders are filming for a documentary they want to make.  Hollywood here I come! Hahaha!!!  I am only kidding but I did sign a release form.

A group of four Nobos showed up and one them ate twice as much sausage as me. He couldn't have weighed more than 135 pounds.  Then he had his dinner of two packs of ramen noodles.  The Nobos gave us some tips on eating.  In town eat ice cream.  When you leave town pack out a bunch of heavy snacks for the first night and this can include fresh fruits and veggies if you want.  One guy said he packs four big bags of potato chips sometimes.  They also told us not to be afraid to take cheese blocks, cream cheese, and eggs with us.

I can't wait to get to the next grocery.

-Stealth

Oh, I bent the lower segment of one of my trekking poles today.  It seems to be okay though.

1 comment:

  1. Your writting is so inspirational it makes me want to hike the trail, thanks brenton.

    ReplyDelete